Carol A. Bibb, Ph.D., D.D.S.
Carol A. Bibb, Ph.D., D.D.S. is the Associate Dean of Student Affairs and a Clinical Professor in the Section of Oral Medicine and Orofacial Pain in the Division of Oral Biology & Medicine at the UCLA School of Dentistry. She joined the dental school faculty in 1979.
Le Conte Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1668
Phone: (310) 825-2615 ext.52615
Fax: (310) 825-9808
Educational and Professional Background
- 1971, Ph.D., UC Irvine
- 1978, D.D.S., UCLA
Dr. Bibb joined the UCLA School of Dentistry part-time faculty in 1979, participating in teaching and basic science research in combination with the private practice of general dentistry. In 1993, she received a full-time faculty appointment in the Division of Oral Biology and Medicine. In addition to her ongoing teaching and research activities, she served as General Clinic Director for five years prior to her current appointment as Associate Dean for Student Affairs in 2005.
Dr. Bibb’s creative activities focus on mentoring future dental educators through teaching apprenticeships and serving as faculty advisor to the Basic Dental Principles program in which dental students prepare and present lectures and laboratory instruction in courses for pre-dental students. She is currently an Associate Program Director for an NIH/NIDCR funded R25 grant titled: “Recruitment, Mentoring, and Empowering Future Academic Dentists”. This project supports an Academic Track mentorship program for dental students and residents interested in an academic career.
- Dental Morphology and Occlusion (RFE 100)
- Professionalism and Doctoring (PFD 100)
- Growth, Development, and Aging (GDA 100)
- Foundations of Basic Science (OSD 100)
Professional Memberships and Activities
- UCLA School of Dentistry Alumni Association: 2008 Alumnus of the Year
- UCLA School of Dentistry: 2010-11 Distinguished Faculty of the Year
- American Dental Education Association: UCLA Women Liaison Officer and Council of Faculties Representative
- Omicron Kappa Upsilon: Secretary-Treasurer of the UCLA chapter of the national dental honor society
- American Dental Association: Service to the ADA Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations as a test constructor and consultant for Part I of the National Board Dental Examination
- Bibb CA, Lefever KH. Mentoring future dental educators through an apprentice teaching experience. J Dent Educ; 66: 703-709, 2002.
- Atchison KA, Bibb CA2. Lefever KH, Mito RS, Lin S, Engelhardt R. Gender differences in career and practice patterns of PGD-trained dentists. J Dent Educ 66:1358-1367, 2002
- Bibb C, Atchison A. Case-Based teaching of patient and practice management: an integrated approach. 2005.
- Gironda MW, Bibb CA, Lefever K, Law C, Messadi D. A program to recruit and mentor future academic dentists: successes and challenges. J Dent Educ 77: 292-299, 2013.
- Law CS, McCreedy CN, Bibb CA, Lefever KH, Messadi DV. Multiple paths to academic dentistry: three profiles. 2013.