Dean Ho, PhD, MS
Dr. Dean Ho is currently a Professor in the Division of Oral Biology and Medicine, the Division of Advanced Prosthodontics, and Co-Director of the Weintraub Center for Reconstructive Biotechnology at the UCLA School of Dentistry. Dr. Ho joined the school as a faculty member in July 2012.
UCLA School of Dentistry
10833 Le Conte Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1668
Phone: (310) 794-9851
Education and Background:
- 2005, Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering, UCLA
- 2003, M.S. in Biomedical Engineering, UCLA
- 2001, B.S. in Physiological Sciences, UCLA
Prior to coming to UCLA, Dr. Ho was an Associate Professor in the Departments of Biomedical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering in the Robert R. McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science and a member of the Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center at Northwestern University.
Research & Activities:
Dr. Ho leads an internationally-recognized team focused on the development of nanodiamond platforms for drug delivery and imaging. His research group has developed multiple approaches towards improved therapeutic efficiency and safety using the nanodiamond vehicle and applications have included gene delivery, therapeutic protein release for potential wound healing use, and most notably, cancer therapy.
In the area of chemotherapy, Professor Ho’s team developed NDX, a nanodiamond-drug complex based upon the potent interaction of the diamond surface with doxorubicin, a commonly used cancer drug in the clinic that is also highly toxic. Through the synthesis of NDX, a marked enhancement in drug efficacy and reduced toxicity were demonstrated over clinical standards. This discovery is highlighted in a recent cover article in Science Translational Medicine demonstrating the administration of NDX towards the enhanced treatment of multiple drug-resistant cancer models in mice. His research achievements have garnered news coverage on the CNN and NPR homepages, Reuters, Yahoo, Voice of America and The Chicago Tribune, among other international news outlets.
Dr. Ho has also appeared on the National Geographic Channel program 'Known Universe' which aired domestically and internationally. Dr. Ho is currently Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Laboratory Automation.
Awards and Honors:
- Recipient of the National Science Foundation CAREER Award
- Wallace H. Coulter Foundation Translational Research Award (Phase I and II)
- The V Foundation for Cancer Research “V Scholars” Award
- John G. Bollinger Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award of the Society of Manufacturing Engineers,
- Invited attendee of the National Academy of Engineering Frontiers of Engineering Symposium
- Distinguished Young Alumnus Award from the UCLA School of Engineering and Applied Science.