Flavia Queiroz Pirih, DDS, PhD
Dr. Flavia Q. Pirih is an Assistant Professor and the Director of the Pre-doctoral program in the Section of Periodontics.
UCLA School of Dentistry
10833 Le Conte Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Phone: (310) 825-6486
Fax: (310) 206-3282
Dr. Pirih received her DDS degree from the Universidade Federal do Parana in Brazil, and went onto obtain a PhD in Oral Biology at UCLA. Following her doctorate, she received a master’s degree and a residency certificate in Periodontics from the University of Michigan. She also experienced further research training as a post-doctoral fellow at the University of Michigan. In 2009, Dr. Pirih became a Diplomate of the American Board of Periodontology. She is currently the Director of Pre-doctoral Periodontics program at UCLA and teaches at the pre- and post-graduate levels.
Education & Professional Background
- 1999, DDS, Universidade Federal do Parana, Brazil
- 2006, PhD, Oral Biology, UCLA
- 2009, certificate and MS in Periodontics, University of Michigan
- 2006-2009, Postdoctoral fellowship with Dr. Laurie K. McCauley, University of Michigan School of Dentistry
Patient Care Activities
Dr. Pirih sees patients in the UCLA Periodontics and Implant Surgery Faculty Practice located in the UCLA 100 Medical Plaza Building, Suite 320, Los Angeles, CA. Dr. Pirih provides comprehensive periodontal and surgical implant services.
Courses Chaired & Taught
- 2011-present Clinical Periodontics (CL403-09A), Chairman
- 2011-present Clinical Periodontics (CL404-09A), Chairman
- 2012-present Clinical Periodontics (CL402-09A), Chairman
- 2012-present Clinical Periodontics (CL402-09B), Chairman
- 2012- present Clinical Periodontics (CL403-09B), Chairman
- 2012- present Clinical Periodontics (CL404-09B), Chairman
- 2012- present Clinical Periodontics (CL402-09C), Chairman
- 2012-present Clinical Periodontics (CL403-09C), Chairman
- 2012- present Clinical Periodontics (CL404-09C), Chairman
- 2012- present Clinical Periodontics (CL403-09S), Chairman
- 2012- present Clinical Periodontics (CL404-09S), Chairman
- 2013- Periodontal Study Club Selective, Chairman
- Growth, Development, and Aging 102 The Tooth
- Periodontics 100 - Introduction to Periodontics
- Periodontics 101 - Periodontal Pathology, Diagnosis &Treatment Planning
- Periodontics 201 - Periodontal Pathology, Diagnosis &Treatment Planning
- Periodontics 300 - Clinical Periodontics
- Oral Biology 212 - Pro-Seminar Oral Biology Research
- DS 309 - Introduction and Review of Periodontics for Dental Residents
Research & Interests
Dr. Pirih’s research focuses on the understanding of the basic and clinical aspects of periodontitis and peri-implantitis, with the ultimate goal of developing new strategies to prevent and treat both conditions. She conducts translational research that examines the role of genetics in patients' susceptibility to periodontitis and is developing an animal model to study experimental peri-implantitis.
- Kang B, Cheong S, Chaichanasakul T, Bezouglaia O, Atti E, Dry SM, Pirih FQ, Aghaloo T, Tetradis S. Periapical Disease and Bisphosphonates Cause ONJ in Mice (in Press, JBMR).
- Cho SW, Pirih FQ, Michalski M, Eber M, Ritchie K, Sinder B, Oh SJ, Saja A, Lee J, Kozloff K, Danciu T, Wronski T, McCauley LK. Interleukin-6 receptor signaling links hematopoietic and anabolic actions of PTH in bone. (epub- J Biol Chem Jan 07, 2013).
- Pirih FQ, Lu J, Fei Y, Bezouglaia O, Atti E, Ascenzi, MG, Tetradis S, Demer LL, Aghaloo T, Tintut Y. Adverse effects of hyperlipidemia on bone regeneration and strength. J Bone Miner Res. 2012,27(2): 309-18.
- Pirih FQ, Michalski M, Cho, SW, Koh AJ, Berry JB, Ghaname E, Kamarajan P, Chabadel A, Bonnelye E, Ross E, Kapila YL, Jurdic P, McCauley LK. The impact of PTH on cells of the hematopoietic lineage: in vivo and ex vivo studies. PLoS One, 2010, 27;5(10):e13657.
- Pirih FQ, Abayahoudian R, Elashoff D, Parhami F, Nervina J, Tetradis S. Nuclear receptor profile in calvarial bone cells undergoing osteogenic versus adipogenic differentiation. J Cell Biochem, 2008,105(1):1316-26.
- 2009 - Young Investigator Award, American Society from Bone and Mineral Research
- 2009 - First place in the Graduate Student Forum, Midwest Society of Periodontology
- 2009 - Rackham travel award to attend the IADR/AADR/CADR meeting
- 2008 - FASEB-MARC travel award to attend the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research Meeting, Montreal, Canada
- 2007-08 - Postdoctoral Fellow Position at the University of Michigan Regenerative Sciences Training Program, NIH Institutional Training Grant T90 DK070071-03
- 2007 - AAP Educator Scholarship, American Academy of Periodontology Foundation
- 2007 - Travel Award for the Second Endocrine Fellows Forum (Hawaii) in conjunction with the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research
- 2006-08 - Rackham Merit Fellowship, The University of Michigan School of Dentistry
- 2004-06 - Postdoctoral Fellow Position at the UCLA Fundamental Clinical Research Training Grant, NIH/NIDCR Institutional Training Grant T32 DE007296
- 2001-02 - Fellowship Support, UCLA School of Dentistry
- Diplomate, American Board of Periodontology
- American Academy of Periodontology
- American Society for Bone and Mineral Research
- International Association for Dental Research
- American Dental Association
- California Dental Association
- California Society of Periodontology
- Western Society of Periodontology