Vladimir W. Spolsky, D.M.D., M.P.H.
Vladimir W. Spolsky D.M.D., M.P.H. is an associate professor in the Division of Public Health and Community Dentistry at the UCLA School of Dentistry.
Before coming to UCLA, Dr. Spolsky was in the Epidemiology Branch of the USPHS, where he was involved in the dental portion of the Ten-State Nutrition Survey and in conducting clinical trials.
Shortly after coming to UCLA, he assumed the responsibility for developing the Preventive Program for the curriculum both didactically and clinically. He continues his interest in developing and testing preventive agents for dental diseases and in the measurement of dental disease and oral health.
UCLA School of Dentistry
10833 Le Conte Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1668
Phone: (310) 825-9238
Educational and Professional Background
- 1959 B.S., University of Pittsburgh, School of Liberal Arts (Bacteriology)
- 1964 D.M.D., University of Pittsburgh, School of Dental Medicine (Dentistry)
- 1966 Postdoctoral Fellowship, University of Pittsburgh, Graduate Schools of Medicine and Natural Sciences (Microbiology)
- 1967 M.P.H., University of Pittsburgh, Graduate School of Public Health (Epidemiology)
- 1987 Residency, Oregon Health Sciences University, School of Dentistry (Periodontics)
- 2005 Residency, University of California, San Francisco, Dental Public Health
- 2008 Diplomate, American Board of Dental Public Health
Dr. Spolsky treats patients in the UCLA Faculty Group Dental Practice.
Dental Epidemiology; Clinical Research in Preventive Dentistry; Methodological Research on Clinical Measurements; Analysis of large Data Sets
Clinical Research in Preventive Dentistry; Methodological Research on Clinical Measurements
- 1975 Sigma Xi, UCLA Chapter (Research)
- 1980 Teaching Award, Favorite Public Health Instructor, Class of 1980, School of Dentistry, University of California, Los Angeles
Professional Memberships and Activities
- 1960-Present, American Dental Association (AADR)
- 1962-Present, Delta Sigma Delta
- 1966-Present, International Association for Dental Research (IADR)
- 1968-Present, American Association of Public Health Dentistr
- 1975-Present, Sigma Xi
- 1976-Present, Western Los Angeles Dental Society
- 1976-Present, California Dental Association (CDA)
- 1976-Present, American Academy of Periodontology (Associate Member)
- 1996-Present, American Dental Education Association
Spolsky VW. Ten-State Nutrition Survey 1968-1970, Atlanta, Center for Disease Control, Health Services and Mental Health Administration, Department of Health, Education and Welfare, 1972, Volume 111 pp. 87-125. Volume 1 pp. 80-86. 113-114, DHEW Publication No. (HSM) 728131.
Spolsky VW, Forsythe AB. Effects of Alexidine 2HCl on Plaque and Gingivitis after Six Months. Journal of Dental Research, 56(11):1349-1358, 1977.
Jenson L, Budenz AW, Featherstone JD, Ramos-Gomez FJ, Spolsky VW, Young DA. Clinical protocols for caries management by risk assessment. J Calif Dent Assoc 2007;35(10):714-23
Spolsky VW, Marcus M, Der-Martirosian C, Coulter ID, Maida CA. Oral Health Status and the Epidemiologic Paradox Within Latino Immigrant Groups. BMC Oral Health 2012 Sep 7; 12(1):39 doi: 10.1186/1472-6831-12-39.
Liu H, Maida CA, Wang Y, Shen J, Marcus M. and Spolsky VW. Predictive Power of the Severity Measure of Loss of Attachment (LOA) for Need to Access Periodontal Care. Journal of Periodontology 2013 Nov 23 (in Press).