Richard G. Stevenson III, D.D.S., B.S.
Division of Restorative Dentistry
UCLA School of Dentistry
10833 Le Conte Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1668
Phone: (310) 794-4387
Fax: (310) 825-2536
Office: 33-009A CHS
Richard G. Stevenson, D.D.S., is Chair of the Division of Restorative Dentistry at UCLA School of Dentistry. He joined the dental school in 1992. He served as the Chair of the Pre-Clinical Operative Dentistry Course where he authored a comprehensive illustrated syllabus of Operative Dentistry. He has served as Chair of the Division of Restorative Dentistry since 2000. He is one of the most awarded faculty of the School of Dentistry in regards to teaching, among which he has received Teacher of the Year four times. Additionally, the UCLA Academic Senate Distinguished Teaching Award Program selected him to receive the prestigious Distinguished Lecturer Award (Non-Senate Faculty) in 2003. He is one of the most prolific teachers in the School of Dentistry as he teaches in the pre-doctoral, post-doctoral and international levels. Additionally, he gives numerous continuing education courses nationally and internationally. He has held numerous positions in professional organizations and is currently the Secretary of the Academy of Operative Dentistry. Other than the School co-founder, Dr. Robert Wolcott, Dr. Stevenson is the only UCLA Faculty to have been inducted as a member into the American Academy of Restorative Dentistry. He is an expert and a mentor in R.V. Tucker cast gold restorations.
Educational & Professional Background
- B.S., UCLA, 1982
- D.D.S., UCLA 1986
- Certificate, Advanced Education in General Dentistry, UCLA, 2001
- Board Certified, American Board of Operative Dentistry, 2007
- Professor of Clinical Dentistry, 2008
Research & Interests
- Esthetic Dentistry
- Conservative Cast Gold Restorations
- Implant Restorations
- Dental Material Science
- Occlusal Management of Dysfunction
- ITI – International Team for Implantology
- Western Los Angeles Dental Society
- California Dental Association
- American Dental Association
- Academy of Dentistry International
- Academy of Operative Dentistry
- American Academy of Restorative Dentistry
- American Academy of Gold Foil Operators
- Academy of R.V. Tucker Study Clubs
- Academy of General Dentistry
- American Academy of Gold Foil Operators, Clinician of the Year, 2011
- Alumnus of the year, UCLA Alumni Association, 2011
- “Most Inspiring Faculty”, presented by the UCLA School of Dentistry Class of 2011
- Faculty of the Year Award; Hooding Ceremony Delegate, UCLA School of Dentistry Class of 2010
- Award of Excellence, Academy of Operative Dentistry, 2010
- ADA Golden Apple Award in Inspiring Careers in Dental Education Category Pre-doctoral and Post-doctoral levels, 2009
- The Richard V. Tucker Award, The Academy of R.V. Tucker Study Clubs, 2008
- Robert B. Wolcott Award, presented by the OKU National Dental Honor Society
- UCLA Epsilon Zeta Chapter, 2005
- Dedicated Teaching and Distinguished Service Award, presented by the UCLA School of Dentistry Class of 2005
- Distinguished Lecturer Award (Non-Senate Faculty), 2003
- The UCLA Academic Senate Distinguished Teaching Award Program
- Stevenson, RG, Refela, JA. Conservative and Esthetic Cast Gold Fixed Partial Dentures: Inlay, Onlay and Partial Veneer Retainers, Custom Composite Pontics, and Stress-breakers” – Part I: Fundamental Design Principles. J Esthet. Restor Dent, 21 (6): 365-374 (December 2009).
- Stevenson, RG, Refela, JA. Conservative and Esthetic Cast Gold Fixed Partial Dentures: Inlay, Onlay and Partial Veneer Retainers, Custom Composite Pontics, and Stress-breakers” – Part II: Utilization of Additional Retentive Features & Fabrication of Custom Pontic Facings J Esthet. Restor Dent, 21 (6): 375-386 (December 2009).
- ED Bonilla, RG Stevenson, AA Caputo, and SN White Microleakage Resistance of Minimally Invasive Class I Flowable Composite Restorations. Operative Dentistry, 37 (3): 290-298. (May/June 2012)
- RG Stevenson Educating Dental Students of the Current Generation. JERD, 24 (4): 227-232. (2012)
- Summit JB, Robbins WJ, Hilton TJ, Schwartz RS. Fundamentals of Operative Dentistry: A Contemporary Approach, Fourth Ed., Ch. 19, “Cast Gold Restorations” – Richard G. Stevenson and Patrice Fan. Quintessence Pub., 2013. Book Chapter.
- Restorative Dentistry Straumann Implant Center Consultant
- Quality Control Restorative Dentistry
- Advanced Restorative Dentistry
- Indirect Restorative Dentistry
- Cast Gold Study Club for Students
- Clinical Applications of Dental Morphology and Occlusion
- Venice Dental Center and Westwood Senior Select Programs
- Restorative Dentistry Advanced Clinical Training Program for International Dentists
- WREB Review Lectures for Senior Pre-Doc Dental Students
- Pre-Dental Student Outreach Program (PDSOP) Lectures and Mentorship
- Aesthetic Continuum
- International Dentistry Programs
- RDAEF II Course Director
- Created and designed a Comprehensive Self-Study Guide in Restorative Dentistry comprised of 197 Competency-Based Projects with Self-Assessment Criteria. Illustrated and in color.
- Created a guide of Restorative Clinical Materials of over a 110 dental materials in 2011. Updated in 2012
- Created a Clinical Diagnostic/Treatment Planning Protocol. (2012)
- Created the Direct Restorations Curriculum for the RDAEF II Course (2009). Developed over 40 Lectures.
- Created the Restorative Dentistry Advanced Clinical Training Program for International Dentists: Curriculum and Course Syllabi.
- Created an Advanced Restorative Dentistry Clinic Program. (2006).
- Created a joint program with Advanced Prosthodontics for pre-doctoral dental students to complete implant supported restorations. (2005)
- Created institutional Guide and CD ROM for Calibration and Consultation of State Board Examiners in the areas of Operative Dentistry and Fixed Prosthodontics. (2005)
- Created the Competency Examination for the 4th Year Dental Students based on a virtual patient. (2003)
- Initiated the expansion of the Esthetic course into a new didactic, laboratory and clinical format. (2003)