Cun-Yu Wang, Ph.D., D.D.S.
Cun-Yu Wang, D.D.S., Ph.D. is the Associate Dean of Graduate Studies, the Dr. No-Hee Park Endowed Chair in Dentistry, and the Chair of the Division of Oral Biology and Medicine at the UCLA School of Dentistry. Dr. Wang is the first person to hold the Dr. No-Hee Park Endowed Chair in Dentistry.
UCLA School of Dentistry
10833 Le Conte Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1668
Phone: (310) 825-4415
Areas of Expertise: Head and neck cancer, adult stem cells, and inflammation
Dr. Wang is the leading investigator in the field of oral cancer, chronic inflammation, and adult stem cells. He has made a landmark discovery on the regulation of cancer cell death by NF-κB, a transcription factor associated with inflammation and immune responses. His work has been published in the high-impacted journals including Science, Cell, Nature Medicine, Cancer Cell, Nature Cell Biology, Lancet, and Nature Biotechnology. Wang is among the most highly-cited dentist-scientists at the national and international levels. He was elected to the Institute of Medicine of National Academies, which is one of the highest honors in medicine and public health in the United States in 2011.
Educational and Professional Background:
- 1985 B.D.S., Nanjing Medical University, Stomatology
- 1989 D.D.S., Perking University School of Dentistry (Certificate, Pediatric Dentistry)
- 1995 Postdoctoral Fellow, Forsyth Institute/Harvard University, Immunology and Cytokine Biology
- 1998 Ph.D., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Genetics and Molecular Biology
- Course Director for Oral Biology 260, required for M.S. and Ph.D. students
- Oral Biology 212
Research & Interests:
- Molecular Signaling (NF-κB and Wnt)
- Tumor-invasive growth and Metastasis
- Adult mesenchymal stem cells, dental stem cells and regenerative medicine
- Inflammation and innate immunity
1. Ding X., Pan H., Li J., Zhong Q., Chen X., Dry S.M. Wang, C.Y. “Epigenetic activation of AP1 promotes squamous cell carcinoma metastasis.” Science Signaling, 2013 Apr 30;6(273):ra28.
2. Ye L., Fan Z., Yu b., Chang J., Al Hezaimi K., Zhou X., Park N.H., Wang C.Y., "Histone demethylases KDM4B and KDM6B promotes osteogenic differentiation of human MSCs." Cell Stem Cell. 2012 Jul 6;11(1):50-61
3. Fan Z., Yamaza T., Lee J.S., Yu J., Wang S., Fan G., Shi S., Wang C.Y. “BCOR regulates mesenchymal stem cell function by epigenetic mechanisms.” Nat Cell Biol. 2009 Aug;11(8):1002-9.
4. Chang J., Wang Z., Tang E., Fan Z., McCauley L., Franceschi R., Guan K., Krebsbach P.H., Wang C.Y. Inhibition of osteoblastic bone formation by nuclear factor-kappaB. Nat Med. 2009 Jun;15(6):682-9.
5. Li J., Wang C.Y. “TBL1-TBLR1 and beta-catenin recruit each other to Wnt target-gene promoter for transcription activation and oncogenesis.” Nat Cell Biol. 2008 Feb;10(2):160-9.
Awards & Professional Memberships:
- Member, Institute of Medicine of National Academies, 2011
- AAAS Fellow, 2011
- Distinguished Scientist Award for Basic Research in Biological Mineralization, International Association for Dental Research, 2013
- No-Hee Park Endowed Professor in Dentistry, 2009
- Distinguished Scientist Award for Oral Pathology and Medicine, International Association for Dental Research, 2009