Xinli Zhang, M.D., Ph.D.
10833 Le Conte Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1668
Phone: (310) 825-3750
Fax: (310) 206-5349
Educational and Professional Background
- 1985, M.D., Third Military Medical University (TMMU), China
- 1991, M.S., Tumor Pathology, TMMU, China
- 1996, Ph.D., Molecular Pathology, TMMU, China
Dr. Zhang was originally trained as a medical doctor specializing in pathology. He then obtained a Ph.D. degree in molecular biology and pathology working on molecular mechanism of carcinogenesis in liver. Before joining the UCLA School of Dentistry, Dr Zhang had more than ten years of teaching and research experiences in medical school with awarded research grants from the national science foundation in China. With his extensive expertise in pathology, molecular and developmental biology as well as translational medicine, Dr. Zhang has contributed tremendously to our research and graduate education at UCLA.
Dr. Zhang’s research focuses on craniofacial anomalies, particularly the study of craniosynostosis, bone and cartilage regeneration and scarless wound healing.
2004-2009, “Nell-1, a Cbfa1 Down-Stream Target, in Bone Formation,” NIH/NIDCR RO1, DE016107-01, co-PI ( one year extension with extra funding)
2008-2010, “Novel Growth Factor for Musculoskeletal Tissue Engineering," UC Discovery grant, #bio07-10677, co-PI
2010-2013, “Harnessing native fat-residing stem cells for bone regeneration.” CIRM grant
- DS300.03a, OB226, Craniofacial growth and development (course co-chair)
- DS308.09a, Research methodology (course co-chair)
Professional Memberships and Activities
- International Association for Dental Research (IADR)
- United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology
- American Society of Investigative Pathology
- American Society of Bone and Mineralization Research