Pre-dental Technique Courses
The UCLA School of Dentistry offers several pre-dental technique courses through our Continuing Education Office. These courses have played a major role in assisting pre-health professional students in making their decisions to apply for dental school. These courses have also provided participants with the opportunity to improve their manual dexterity, hand-eye coordination, and other skills in preparation for dental school, which has become very competitive for the 21st century.
Please visit the Continuing Education Pre-dental Courses webpage for more information.
Perceptual Skills Workshop
In addition to the pre-dental technique courses, the UCLA School of Dentistry offers a Perceptual Skills Workshop through our Student Affairs Office. This is a week-long sculpture course designed by Ronn Davis (artist) to help prepare students for the Perceptual Ability portion of the Dental Admission Test. In this course, you will develop your ability to visualize three-dimensional forms on paper by learning different methods of drawing. Carving will also be practiced on a variety of materials including plaster and wax.
The UCLA School of Dentistry General Clinic Volunteer Program is an 80-hour structured program for undergraduate students who are pursuing a career in dentistry. The program is designed to provide students with a multi-faceted introduction to patient care as delivered in a dental school environment. Volunteers will be introduced to and gain experience in several areas including patient intake and screening clinic, chartroom and billing office, central sterilization services, teaching laboratories, and special projects from the Office of the Clinic Director. Upon successful completion of the program, volunteers can request a letter of recommendation from the Administrator.
The program is a six-month commitment. We do not offer a summer program.
1. You must have a high school diploma.
2. You must be a “First Time” pre-dental undergraduate student (No Bachelor’s Degree)
3. You cannot participate if you hold a full/part time job.
4. We do not accept any International Dentists, Dental Hygienists or Registered Dental Assistants in the volunteer program.
5. You must be able to volunteer your time at least 8-10 hours per week.
6. You must be 18 year of age or older.
7. You must be willing to commit six months to the program.
If you are interested in the program please fill out our online form. Click here for online form.
The UCLA School of Dentistry invites undergraduate students who are interested in dental research to apply for our Research Volunteer Program. If you would like to apply for a research volunteer position, please send an email to Jiali Sha, firstname.lastname@example.org, with the following information:
- Your most recent CV
- A personal statement that 1) indicates the amount of time you can commit to the volunteer position, 2) discusses your previous lab/research experience, and 3) discusses your current research interests and future goals