1991 Alumnus of the Year
Michael G. Newman, DDS
- Diplomate of the American Board of Periodontology
- Professor Emeritus UCLA
- Healthcare Consultant specializing in professional relations, market development, periodontal treatment, evidence-based business solutions, practice-based research and healthcare information management.
- has been a co-investigator on active private and government sponsored research grants for more than 30 yrs
- Graduated from UCLA School of Dentistry in 1972, completed periodontal and microbiology training at the Harvard School of Dental Medicine and the Forsyth Dental Institute.
- Taught at UCLA for 35 years and rose to the rank of Full Professor
- is a past President of the American Academy of Periodontology
- practiced Periodontics (private office) for more than 30 years in Los Angeles and Beverly Hills, CA
- has published over 200 abstracts and peer reviewed journal articles
· is the senior author of Clinical Periodontology 11th Edition (Elsevier), the most widely used periodontal textbook in the world.
· is the founding Editor and Chief of the Journal of Evidence-Based Dental Practice (Elsevier)
· was the Associate Editor of the International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Implants (Quintessence).
- is a consultant to the Council on Scientific Affairs of the American Dental Association and has served as an ad hoc reviewer for NIDCR, the Canadian, and Belgium Scientific Councils and for the Cochrane Oral Health Group
- was the co-Chairman of the American Academy of Periodontology Evidence-Based Workshop on Contemporary Science in Clinical Periodontology (2003).
- Was the co-chair of the American Dental Assoc Evidence-Based Champion Conf from 2008-2010