Financial Aid

Thank you for visiting the financial aid page for our 4-year DDS program. This page is designed to provide individuals in the program with information about available financial resources and to assist them in navigating through the form-intensive process of applying for financial aid.

Although it may be possible to fund your entire education with financial aid, we recommend a conservative approach to borrowing. We also encourage you to save as early and as much as possible before you enter so that you may avoid a heavy debt burden. These savings will be particularly useful in your transition to dental school.

There are several types of financial assistance: loans, scholarships, grants, and work-study. Approximately 90 percent of our financial aid is in the form of loans. These loans must be repaid with interest via a payment plan, which usually does not commence until six months following graduation or separation/withdrawal. The remaining 10 percent of the financial assistance is in the form of grants, scholarships, and funds received for work-study, none of which need to be repaid.

Please note: Your eligibility for some of these options depend on your citizenship/residency status.

Financial Aid Options

  • Apply for all University Aid.
    (Allows consideration for grants and low interest subsidized, federal loans, in addition to federal Direct Loans. Among the required forms are documents which request parental information.) 

  • Apply for the federal Direct Loan only.

  • Apply for Scholarships only or in conjunction with one of the other options.

  • Apply for a Private Loan (aka. Private Alternative Educational Loan) only or in conjunction with any of the above options.

A federal Direct Grad PLUS Loan may also be considered after Direct Loan eligibility has been determined through the financial aid application process.

Eligibility Criteria

In order to receive federal financial aid, you must:

  • Be a US citizen, permanent resident, or US national (includes natives of American Samoa or Swain's Island) with a valid Social Security number*

  • Be registered with Selective Service, if required

  • Be enrolled at least half-time in a degree program

  • Not be in default on any federal funds

  • Be making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

If you're in the United States on an F1 or F2 student visa only, or on a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa only, you can't get federal student aid. Also, persons with G series visas (pertaining to international organizations) are NOT eligible for federal student aid. 

The eligibility criteria for private loans varies between lenders. Please consult the private lender of your choice for more information.

Please note: It is your responsibility to secure funding for your entire program regardless if funding is not available or is denied.

*(I-151, I-551, or I-551C Alien Registration Receipt Card)

If you're not in one of these categories, you must have an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) showing one of the following designations in order to be eligible:

"Asylum Granted" 
"Indefinite Parole" and/or "Humanitarian Parole" 
"Cuban-Haitian Entrant, Status Pending" 
"Conditional Entrant" (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980) 
If you have only a Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence (I-171 or I-464), you aren't eligible for federal student aid.